Lead Systems Technical Program Manager
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first self-driving car, with researchers, designers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From self driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
In this role you’ll:
- Lead the cross functional product team and interface with external stakeholders like marketing, finance, and operations, integrating deliverables into an overall program plan
- Own timing plan for vehicle launch readiness; partner with delivering organizations to ensure the timing plans are correct, up to date, and risks are communicated up and down the organization
- Facilitate good communication and offer multiple levels of status across a wide spectrum of individual contributors to executive management
- Develop and manage OKR's and delivery for all systems
- Work with systems teams to ensure they have metrics for their deliverables and are tracking / measuring and identifying risks appropriately
- Ask the right questions to get the team to consider the bigger picture and be ready for unforeseen issues
- Mature and map out the handoffs, touch points and workflows for development stakeholders to facilitate and track progress
- Drive the full systems engineering timing plan including what tests are happening when, where, and with who and ensure that those are in line with the team priorities
- Be the first line escalation contact for relevant launch-blocking issues as they come up. Develop mitigations and document and hand off to relevant TPMs where applicable.
We’d like you to have:
- A BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- 10 years of experience in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field
- A minimum 8 years experience managing programs in consumer electronics, automotive, aerospace or similar businesses
It's preferred if you have:
- Industry experience, with a demonstrated record of hands-on product development, program management, project management, professional services and/or engineering management
- Excellent knowledge of product life cycle, tools, processes and operations planning
- Team player attitude and are a creative thinker who is able to lead technical teams, cross-functional groups and vendors in accordance with plans
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.