Intern, Software Engineering, Lidar Systems
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Software Engineering builds the brains of Waymo's fully self-driving vehicles. Our software allows our vehicles to perceive the world around them, make the right decision for every situation, and deliver people safely to their destinations. We think deeply and solve complex technical challenges in areas like robotics, perception, decision-making and deep learning, while collaborating with hardware and systems engineers. If you’re a software engineer or researcher who’s curious and passionate about Level 4 autonomous driving, we'd like to meet you.
Waymo interns work alongside leaders in the industry on projects that deliver significant impact to the company. We believe learning is a two-way street: leveraging your knowledge while providing you with opportunities to expand your skill-set. Interns are an important part of our culture and our recruiting pipeline. Join us at Waymo for a fun and rewarding internship!
In this internship, you’ll do one or more of the following:
- Explore new signal processing strategies to improve the quality of our Lidar point cloud data,
- Build Monte-Carlo models to simulate next-generation Lidar imagers,
- Implement your preferred denoising technique on our embedded hardware.
At minimum, we’d like you to have:
- A M.S. in Electrical Engineering, Statistics, Computer Science or Physics, and be currently enrolled in a Ph.D. program in a related field,
- C++ and/or Python programming experience,
- Proficiency in numerical analysis and data visualization with tools such as NumPy, Tensorflow and Matplotlib.
It’s preferred if you have some of the following:
- Familiarity with computational imaging systems and techniques, for example single pixel cameras, compressive imaging or light field displays,
- Some knowledge of laser and photodetector physics,
- Experience running Monte Carlo simulations of optical systems,
- Experience with image reconstruction and inverse problems.
- Help solve challenging problems with a direct impact on the company
- Competitive compensation packages with a housing/relocation bonus
- Free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Free access to Google shuttles
- Onsite gym
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Fun intern events and networking opportunities
Note: We will accept resumes on a rolling basis until the role is filled. To be in consideration for multiple roles, please apply to each one individually.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.