Intern, Vehicle Engineering, Structures and Customer Facing Cosmetic Trim
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
The Vehicle Engineering group works closely with our vehicle OEM partner to develop the Waymo version of the base vehicle. This platform becomes the base vehicle, upon which we decide where and how to mount sensing systems, computers and other hardware to achieve requirements allowing the car to drive itself.
Waymo interns work alongside leaders in the industry on projects that deliver significant impact to the company. We believe learning is a two-way street: leveraging your knowledge while providing you with opportunities to expand your skill-set. Interns are an important part of our culture and our recruiting pipeline. Join us at Waymo for a fun and rewarding internship!
In this internship, you’ll:
- Use CAD (Catia 3D Experience) to investigate alternative design solutions and where necessary, generate hardware mockups to prove these out.
- Work with the Vehicle and Component Testing groups to design and execute sub-system level tests to validate designs.
- Root cause any build problems using a first principles approach and show why they occured. Measure, document, make corrective action recommendations accordingly.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Enrolled in a Mechanical / Automotive / Aerospace Engineering degree.
- Prior Automotive internship experience (or similar).
- Experience using 3D CAD packages, ideally Catia V5/V6.
It’s preferred if you have:
- Practical hands on experience.
- Experience using basic hand tools for prototyping is positive but not required.
- Designed something that has then been manufactured, on a small or large scale
- Help solve challenging problems with a direct impact on the company
- Competitive compensation packages with a housing/relocation bonus
- Free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Free access to Google shuttles
- Onsite gym
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Fun intern events and networking opportunities
Note: We will accept resumes on a rolling basis until the role is filled. To be in consideration for multiple roles, please apply to each one individually.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.