Intern, Systems Engineering, Sensing
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. Our systems engineers create and maintain the plans and timelines that keep projects on schedule. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
Waymo interns work alongside leaders in the industry on projects that deliver significant impact to the company. We believe learning is a two-way street: leveraging your knowledge while providing you with opportunities to expand your skill-set. Interns are an important part of our culture and our recruiting pipeline. Join us at Waymo for a fun and rewarding internship!
In this internship, you’ll:
- Research and understand the physics of self-driving car sensing technology (e.g. lidar, cameras, or radar)
- Research and understand the software used to interpret sensor data into judgements about the world
- Write reusable data analysis software and physics simulations
- Perform system-level trade studies
- Work with hardware and software teams to derive system-level requirements
- Design, debug, and execute hardware and software tests for the system
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Progress towards a PhD in physics, engineering, or a related technical field.
- Familiarity with data analysis in python.
It’s preferred if you have:
- Technical expertise in a sensing technology (e.g. lidar, cameras, or radar) and/or related fields (e.g. laser/imaging optics)
- Experience in machine learning
- Written database queries (SQL)
- Experience with C++
- Written scientific or technical reports. A thesis for an advanced degree is a plus
- Experience writing requirements or running tests
- Help solve challenging problems with a direct impact on the company
- Competitive compensation packages with a housing/relocation bonus
- Free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Free access to Google shuttles
- Onsite gym
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Fun intern events and networking opportunities
Note: We will accept resumes on a rolling basis until the role is filled. To be in consideration for multiple roles, please apply to each one individually.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.