Interaction Designer, Waymo Autonomous Tools
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first self-driving car, with researchers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From self driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
In this UX Designer role you'll:
- Collaborate with product managers, researchers, and engineers to understand user needs, work flows, and existing solutions in an effort to design internal tools across a wide variety of teams at Waymo while leading cross-functional sessions to define problems, identify solutions, and build consensus
- Work in quick iterative cycles to build both low and high fidelity prototypes and partner with research to test and refine
- Leverage your up-to-date knowledge of human interface guidelines, standards, best practices and emerging technologies to design detailed UI specifications while evolving Waymo’s Internal Tools design system to meet the needs of your domains
- Collaborate closely with user research, project management, engineering and data science to ensure the right questions are being asked and the right problems are being solved in an impactful way
- Participate in design critiques to continually raise the team’s bar for quality, evangelize best practices, and explore innovative approaches to UX/UI design
- Utilize all available data points—subject matter experts, analytics and user research—to make informed design decisions and rely on your intuition to fill in the gaps
At minimum we'd like you to have:
- Strong portfolio showcasing the complex problem solving skills and high quality design solutions
- Minimum 4-5 years of experience designing enterprise tools
- Comfortable learning about complex workflows (eg, how does someone manage a fleet of cars? How does someone create efficiency for over 500 people in multiple locations performing complex tasks?)
- Lead the design of large-scale projects from concept through execution with little oversight
- The ability to thrive in ambiguous situations, be a self-starter, and be comfortable switching between vision-level and pixel-level work
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to articulate the rationale behind your design decisions and influence key stakeholders
It is preferred if you have:
- Experience in transportation as a service or mobility at a technology company
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.