Research Operations Lead
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first self-driving car, with researchers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From self driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
In this Research role you'll:
- Own vision and plan for ResearchOps practice, defining scope, tools, practices, and approach (e.g. equipment, vendors, knowledge and asset management)
- Build team capabilities, effectiveness, and speed of moving from research insights to action, and measure these shifts
- Provide governance of research philosophy, ethics, privacy/security, retention/access, and related engagement of cross functional stakeholders
- Manage logistics across a portfolio of research programs to help ensure successful field-work including participant recruiting, location scouting, equipment acquisition, space set-up, day-of trouble shooting, and incentives disbursement
- Liaise between key research vendors and partners throughout planning and fieldwork phases to ensure all teams are working together with shared expectations and that best practices are being brought to life
- Identify opportunities for continuous process improvement, lead the charge in experimenting with new practices and tools (e.g. automating tasks, improving workflows, developing repeatable methodologies) and ensure accessible training and process documentation for the team
At minimum we'd like you to have:
- 2+ years industry experience, specifically focused on ResearchOps practice, ideally at a technology company and/or fast moving start-up
- Additional or supplemental experience in high-intensity, production heavy role such as technical program management, event planning, research recruitment, television/movie production, etc.
- Proven experience building, managing, and significantly improving the tools, practices, and methods of user experience research teams
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills, adept at managing multiple threads and requests simultaneously
- Note: The seniority level of this position will depend on the selected candidate’s experience and profile
It's preferred if you have:
- BS/BA/MA/MS (in progress or completed) in Research, Program Management, or other related fields - Social Sciences, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Computer Science, Product Design, Cognitive Psychology
- Research operations experience specifically focused on ride hailing, transportation as a service, or new mobility at a technology company
- Proven ability to manage large-scale projects across a diverse set of stakeholder needs, timelines, and priorities
- Mixed experience from both internal and external, client and consultant perspectives
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.