Release Manager, Trucking
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first self-driving car, with researchers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From self driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
In this role you’ll:
- Manage daily build checks, pre-push onboard release testing, logistics, communication, and documentation. This involves coordination with multiple Waymo teams (driving operations, software quality operations, software, hardware, offboard, and systems engineers, customer experience, product).
- Evaluate risk of issues affecting upcoming onboard releases, as well as risk of proposed fixes; perform change control
- Manage release branch creation and investigate and address integration, build, and other technical issues
- Find ways to optimize and accelerate existing processes and procedures, develop new ones in order to support Waymo’s evolving program goals (includes identifying and managing dependencies on hardware, firmware, changing regulatory landscape), scaling the release vetting process to multiple platforms and hardware versions, multiple locations, new road types, and weather conditions
- Ensure documentation is known and used and/or adopted by others to make a project or program repeatable and scalable
We’d like you to have:
- A BA/BS degree in Computer Science, technical field or equivalent practical experience. 1+/3+ years of experience as a release manager, test engineer or TPM/PgM with equivalent responsibilities.
- The ability to recognize technical dependencies in projects across the organization as well as identify technical issues and understand how to resolve them
- The ability to manage and prioritize an overall program that spans multiple projects, services or organizations
- Experience mentoring and training up others to assist in key projects
- Effective project management skills with analytical, technical and leadership skills to deliver complex projects and manage the relationships among them
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal, and analytical skills; the ability to communicate complex interaction concepts and risks clearly and persuasively in a highly engineering driven environment
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.