Intern, Hardware Automation Engineering
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
You will be working with various teams to make one of a kind automated equipment for the Advanced Manufacturing team.
Waymo interns work alongside leaders in the industry on projects that deliver significant impact to the company. We believe learning is a two-way street: leveraging your knowledge while providing you with opportunities to expand your skill-set. Interns are an important part of our culture and our recruiting pipeline. Join us at Waymo for a fun and rewarding internship!
In this internship, you’ll:
- Designing hardware/software interfaces for various types of automated equipment
- Work with the team to help set the standards for equipment on future projects
- Work with robot arms, sensors, motors, glue dispensers, pneumatics, and other electronics
- Develop a sensor qualification laboratory
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Basic programming abilities in Python, C#, or similar, including experience with setting up TCP/IP sockets and serial communication
- Basic understanding of electronic circuits; must be able to follow a circuit diagram and connect electronics in a safe and proper manner.
- >1 year of experience in a CAD package (Solidworks, ProE, Catia, etc)
It’s preferred if you have:
- Equipment design experience, including sensor, motor, and staging selection
- >2 Years of programming in a high level language (Python, C#, C++), including making GUI’s
- Circuit/PCB design experience
- Help solve challenging problems with a direct impact on the company
- Competitive compensation packages with a housing/relocation bonus
- Free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Free access to Google shuttles
- Onsite gym
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Fun intern events and networking opportunities
Note: We will accept resumes on a rolling basis until the role is filled. To be in consideration for multiple roles, please apply to each one individually.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.