Intern, Hardware Engineering, Technical Program Manager
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
As a Technical Program Manager, you will work closely with hardware engineers, software engineers, product managers, and Original Device Manufacturers (ODM)/Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) to get high-quality products built, tested and released on time. You will coordinate many moving parts with excellent communication skills. Additionally, you will serve as point of contact for questions about schedules, quality and progress updates. You will identify and manage risks with excellent judgment, deciding when is the right time to accelerate or stop production.
Waymo interns work alongside leaders in the industry on projects that deliver significant impact to the company. We believe learning is a two-way street: leveraging your knowledge while providing you with opportunities to expand your skill-set. Interns are an important part of our culture and our recruiting pipeline. Join us at Waymo for a fun and rewarding internship!
In this internship, you’ll:
- Develop and manage hardware project schedules with engineering teams and communicate project status to stakeholders
- Work closely with ODMs and vendors on product development schedules, dependencies and budgets
- Coordinate with multiple stakeholders to understand and document long-term technology objectives and roadmaps that ensure product differentiation
- Identify risks, develop mitigation strategies and facilitate conflict resolution
- Interact with vendors and product engineering teams; set and manage schedules and milestones.
- Create new process and initiatives to improve Technical Program Management functional across organizations
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- 2 or more years of Bachelor degrees of education in general engineering fields;
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills
It’s preferred if you have:
- Demonstrated strong technical skills in one of the following fields: mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, optical engineering, instrumentation, computer science;
- Demonstrated understanding of product life cycle, tools and processes and operations planning
- Familiarity with hardware development life cycles and ODM / CM working models
- Effective business judgment and leadership skills with the ability to collaborate across technical and cross-functional teams and vendors
- Help solve challenging problems with a direct impact on the company
- Competitive compensation packages with a housing/relocation bonus
- Free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Free access to Google shuttles
- Onsite gym
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Fun intern events and networking opportunities
Note: We will accept resumes on a rolling basis until the role is filled. To be in consideration for multiple roles, please apply to each one individually.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.