International Policy Manager, Asia-Pacific Region
Mountain View, California, United States
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo Policy and Government Affairs team has a front seat in this exciting moment in the evolution of autonomous vehicle, transportation and tech policy. Successful navigation of the policy landscape is critically important to deploying and scaling our business. Our team works directly with policymakers and third party groups at the national, state and local levels to help advance transportation policy, educate on the safety benefits of the technology, and advance consumer awareness and acceptance. Internally, our efforts support the innovative work of engineering, product, strategy, and partnerships teams, and we work closely with highly-skilled legal and safety experts.
In this International Policy Manager role, you’ll:
- Manage Waymo’s government relations efforts internationally to ensure that national policy and regulatory frameworks enable fully self-driving technology.
- Work collaboratively within a global team to develop and execute Waymo policy strategies and advocacy with key constituencies, starting in Japan and France.
- Monitor and synthesize international and trade policy matters impacting self-driving technology for Waymo leadership and work to develop external responsive policy positions.
- Engage with key self-driving industry stakeholders internationally, starting in Japan and France, including Waymo partners, trade associations, nonprofits, and other key constituencies.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- At least 7+ years of experience working on technology or transportation policy matters with international governments, law firms, consulting firms, multinational companies, and trade associations.
- Experience with project management of complex policy issues and supporting teams.
- Exceptional advocacy and negotiation skills, experience with presenting complex issues concisely and effectively to internal business and external policy stakeholders.
- Willingness and ability to travel overseas extensively.
- Ability to speak and write in Japanese, Mandarin, and / or French, and experience having lived and / or worked abroad.
- University degree in law, public policy, political science, economics, or a related field.
It’s preferred if you have:
- Deep automotive and / or trade policy experience.
- Graduate degree or a law degree.
- Project management experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, and exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- A humble, collaborative, creative, and goal-oriented approach to work and the ability to maintain and build productive internal and external relationships.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.