Intern, Industrial Design
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first self-driving car, with researchers, designers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From self driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
Waymo’s Industrial Design team shoulder the responsibility of shaping the look and feel of our driverless future. We work on a wide variety of design projects that impact every Waymo consumer touchpoint. We shape technology and improve user experience through design: Interface between technology and customers. Help us bring our design ethos to the products that will transport us into the future!
Waymo interns work alongside leaders in the industry on projects that deliver significant impact to the company. We believe learning is a two-way street: leveraging your knowledge while providing you with opportunities to expand your skill-set. Interns are an important part of our culture and our recruiting pipeline. Join us at Waymo for a fun and rewarding internship!
In this internship, you’ll:
- Work on a wide range of projects involving Waymo’s technology and our commercialization efforts through design
- Generate design concepts and strategies through strong visual/verbal communication skills
- Actively participate and contribute in team critiques to share your design point of view
- Work with the cross-disciplinary team to meet the requirement of design and product goals
- Participate in translating design concepts to CAD and manufacturing with attention to detail
- Support preparation of design and presentation assets with other designers
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Pursuing a degree in Industrial Design or similar field graduating in 2020 or 2021
- Strong design aesthetic with an eye for detail, and practical knowledge of engineering and manufacturing
- Strong visual/verbal communication and team working skills
- 2D/ 3D design skills to visualize ideas (Photoshop and Illustrator. Alias, Solidworks or similar 3D CAD program. VRED, Keyshot or similar rendering program.)
- Digital and physical prototyping skills
- A portfolio that demonstrates wide-ranging concept exploration, innovative solutions, a clear process while visually appealing
It’s preferred if you have:
- Self motivation and time management skills to prioritize essential tasks over others and work on multiple projects
- Strong/Unique point of view to contribute to the team, while having the ability to listen as a fundamental skill for success
- Help solve challenging problems with a direct impact on the company
- Competitive compensation packages with a housing/relocation bonus
- Free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Free access to Google shuttles
- Onsite gym
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Fun intern events and networking opportunities
Note: We will accept resumes on a rolling basis until the role is filled. To be in consideration for multiple roles, please apply to each one individually.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.