Systems Test Engineer, Motion Control
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. Our technical program managers create and maintain the plans and timelines that keep projects on schedule. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you'll:
- In vehicle testing and functional verification for autonomous software platform. Testing may include both passenger car and commercial vehicle platforms.
- Test execution at both local and offsite locations.
- Organize test campaigns (test drives and test sites) subject to project milestones and verification cycle.
- Write test plans and procedures.
- Perform objective and subjective vehicle assessment using both commercially available and Waymo-developed tools and methods.
- Translate motion control architecture and actuator requirements to verification tests and execute in vehicle.
- Analyze test results and report findings.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- GNSS and inertial test equipment (OXTS, Applanix, Racelogic, Kistler etc.).
- Data acquisition (DAQ) test equipment (Vector CANalyzer, CANape, CANoe and Etas INCA, MDA etc.).
- Comprehensive driving and vehicle control skills (professional and/or industry certifications appreciated). Commercial vehicle test experience highly beneficial.
- Comfortable executing in vehicle tests on a regular basis.
- Proficient with vehicle test equipment
- Test scripting understanding/execution for in-vehicle test automation (including C/C++, Python, Matlab/Simulink).
- Bachelor and/or Master's degree in a relevant engineering or a related field (including ME, EE, CS, Robotics, Controls, Aerospace, etc.) or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience of system engineering principles such as requirements definition, formal verification and validation methods.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.