Vehicle Systems Engineer - Electrical & Communications Systems
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you'll:
- Work with vehicle partners and Waymo systems engineers to:
- Define electrical communications requirements (signals, timing, etc.) between the self-driving system and the vehicle platform electrical modules
- Create and manage the vehicle platform electrical network architecture
- Oversee the integration of vehicle module software to ensure it meets Waymo’s requirements
- Perform redundancy surveys across vehicle communication buses and signal lists
- Craft and execute Verification and Validation (V&V) plans for platform communications across various platforms and prototype phases. You will plan and execute tests, analyze test data, analyze field issues, and understand and resolve defects leveraging the operations team where possible
- Work with teams during implementation to ensure requirements will be met. As issues arise, determine whether to adjust requirements, modify the design, or allow a waiver based on the big-picture goals of the system
- Manage delivery timing and feature sets of update vehicle prototype fleet software and troubleshooting issues to achieve the required capability set for each vehicle
- Define Waymo’s fleet update policy with respect to vehicle platform software
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, or similar
- At least 3 years experience in an automotive (or similar industry) electrical communication networks and software role delivering software and/or hardware
- Working knowledge of vehicle communication network systems (CAN, FlexRay, LIN, Ethernet, etc.)
- Experience in fail-safe and fail-tolerant system design
- Experience mapping out design and requirements spaces for complex vehicles, or systems with attention to detail, to ensure gaps and flow-downs are fully covered
- A strong root-cause analysis mindset to problem solving
It’s preferred if you have:
- Working knowledge of major automotive vehicle systems such as body controls, chassis systems, powertrain, electrical power supply & distribution systems
- Experience working with automotive OEM evaluation processes and facilities. Has an understanding of a typical automotive development process including major milestones & deliverables
- Formal systems engineering experience, including requirement definition. Capture the benefits of systems engineering with the rigor appropriate for safety-critical systems, without the overhead present in some organizations.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to collaborate & drive execution with cross-functional teams. Be able to lead others to solve technical problems even when you don’t manage them directly
- Coding and scripting ability (C++, Python) to scale large data sets and ability to draw conclusions via data analysis methods
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.