Camera Development - Mechanical Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this Hardware Engineering role, you'll:
- Lead the design of opto-mechanical modules, sub-assemblies and fixtures required for imaging systems through all development phases (design, prototyping, validation, production)
- Develop specifications for opto-mechanical components and work with external suppliers to bring them into production
- Model and analyze opto-mechanical systems to determine performance impacts from tolerancing, thermals, stray light, and other environmental effects
- Work with design, manufacturing and quality, and reliability teams to verify design/process changes to improve robustness of imaging systems
- Collaborate with test and manufacturing teams to develop test and calibration fixtures
- Engage cross-functional engineering teams to integrate imaging modules into self-driving systems
- Investigate future technologies and architectures
- Travel internationally to vendor facilities as required
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Master's in Mechanical Engineering, Applied Physics, or equivalent degree
- 5 years of experience designing precision opto-mechanical components and assemblies for imaging systems in medium to high volume
- Experience leading projects and representing your team with external and overseas suppliers
- A solid understanding of mechanical design, analysis and tolerancing techniques
- Hands-on experience with advanced fabrication methods of mechanical components like casting, precision machining, stamping and injection molding
- Proven hands-on experience at power user level with CAD packages like Catia, NX, SolidWorks
It’s preferred if you have:
- Understand and be able to explain clearly the principles of thermal design and simulation process for sensitive opto-electro-mechanical systems
- Have hands-on experience designing, building and testing imaging subsystems for operation in harsh environmental conditions
- Have a bias towards action over analysis, a demonstrably strong work ethic, and a high standard for quality of work
- Have basic knowledge and vocabulary for camera design and performance to be effective in a cross functional team
- Have knowledge of finite element analysis (Anys/Abacus or equivalent) to set up structural and thermal (STOP and power dissipation) analysis.
- Have experience with actuator technologies and design of assemblies with moving components
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.