Digital Designer/CAD Sculptor
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first self-driving car, with researchers, designers, engineers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From self driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
In this CAD Designer/Digital Sculptor role, you'll:
- Work daily with industrial designers to create design intent digital models while collaborating with engineering teams to understand requirements
- Create high quality 3D surfaces for various design concepts, visualizations, prototypes, design and engineering evaluations
- Develop production quality class-A surfaces out of a variety of design/engineering data for product development, tooling and manufacturing
- Work with the cross-disciplinary team to meet the requirement of design and product goals
- Define all production design details and assemblies based on design directions and execution plan
- Work with internal/external partners to develop parts to manufacture products
We'd like you to have:
- Degree in Industrial Design, Transportation Design or similar field
- Minimum 8 years of design experience covering 3D modeling, product development, and manufacturing technical knowledge
- Proficiency in Alias, an understanding of solid modeling, plus familiarity with rendering, visualization, and animations
- Excellent in 3D design skills, 2D drawing, CAD, digital/physical prototyping
- Strong technical background and understanding of the design process; Proven history of successful design and product development from concept to production
- Strong visual/verbal communication and team working skills
It's preferred if you have:
- Extensive knowledge in engineering and manufacturing complex Class A parts and assemblies, aided by a deep understanding of the applicable tooling methods
- Experience with both digital and physical modeling/fabrication
- Fluent in additional CAD packages such as Catia, Solidworks, Pro-e, and NX
- Strong rendering, visualization and/or animation skills using SW such as VRED, Maya, and Keyshot
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.