Product Manager, Driverless Tools
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first self-driving car, with researchers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From self driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
In this Product Manager role you'll:
- Build the right automated systems and tools and design processes to support Waymo driverless operations teams to effectively and safely deploy our fleet of self-driving cars
- Ensure our technical operations team is able to maintain a healthy fleet. Support our day-to-day driving operations in validating new self-driving software, maps and hardware
- Proactively identify opportunities across Waymo based on deep understanding of all aspects of the business to ensure a low-cost, highly available fleet
- Own relationships with broad set of Waymo internal and external stakeholders including but not limited to Regulatory Operations, Legal, Safety, Insurance, Finance; Understand relationships between Waymo stakeholders, their business problems and needs, especially those related to Fleet management tools
- Partner and collaborate closely with engineering, operations, and other PMs to define requirements for tools solving internal stakeholder needs. Determine and negotiate the scope of business and product requirements for “build” integrations; Agree on scope external integrations with stakeholders, set timelines and communicate updates to engineering and product leadership
At minimum we'd like you to have:
- Interest in solving highly cross-functional technical / organizational issues
- The ability to think about the long-term, and then decompose that vision into concrete, actionable plans
- The desire to understand detailed technical and operational processes and a hunger to improve things
- Strong product design skills, with an eye towards building functional, efficient user experiences
- Fluent in both retrieving and analyzing data, proficient in SQL/Dremel
It's preferred if you have:
- Experience with autonomous vehicles and managing fleets of vehicles
- Experience in management consulting or operations improvement
- Experience working with cross functional stakeholders, understanding and aligning their interests both between stakeholders and to the company goals
- Experience with integrations involving both Google and non-Google systems
- Experience generating alternatives for complex “build” vs “buy” decisions and navigating through the complexities of analyzing factors and stakeholder interests; Providing solutions for the benefit of the larger company and achievement of company goals
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.