Software Engineer, Behavior & Planning, Trucking
San Francisco, California, United States
Waymo is a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. We’re determined to improve transportation for people around the world, building on software and sensor technology developed in Google’s labs since 2009.
As Waymo is becoming a multi-product company, Trucking is our second largest opportunity and will see massive growth in 2020. We believe that commercial trucking, the backbone of our economy, stands to reap untold benefits by deploying autonomous trucks, particularly during long-haul stretches. Roads will be safer. Goods will be cheaper. Truckers will be called upon to use their skills in new ways while the truck itself becomes a trusted navigation partner.
In this role, you'll be working with a small but rapidly growing team, benefitting from shared technology of the greater Waymo and Alphabet organizations. Our team is made up of robotics specialists from some of the leading technology companies of our time - with deep expertise in artificial intelligence, machine learning, and real-world deployment of advanced technology.
- Build robust solutions to cutting-edge driving problems creatively and collaboratively
- Improve how the truck acts and reacts in complex and nuanced situations
- Grow a fundamental understanding of the next driving challenges by analyzing real-world data collected on our state-of-the-art fleet
- Work cross-functionally across Waymo’s Core Planning, Research and Simulation teams to drive new features to completion
- MS degree in Computer Science, Robotics, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience in at least one of: robotics research in motion planning and control (e.g., trajectory optimization, planning under uncertainty, probabilistic robotics, optimal control, guidance, navigation and control, etc.), data analysis at scale, machine learning at scale
- Experience in data structures and advanced algorithms
- Experience programming in C++
- Experience solving software problems using geometry and linear algebra
- Experience writing robust, safety-critical, efficient code
- Experience optimizing highly performant C++ code
- Experience designing complex software systems and interface
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.