Mobile Engineer, User Experience (Android or iOS)
Mountain View, California, United States
At Waymo, we’re focused on bringing self-driving technology to the world. Our mission is to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Today, our driverless cars are serving our first customers with no drivers behind the wheel. To experience our self-driving technology, see this 360-degree video.
The Waymo App team works on the Android & iOS apps used by customers to request rides and interact with the vehicle. We are looking for an engineer passionate about user experience and a track record of bringing awesome products to market.
In this role you'll:
Work on an Android application to control the car features before and during a ride, to inspire trust in the self-driving systems. The team works closely with a small cross-functional team of product managers, designers and UX researchers, as well as the vehicle engineers and AI experts to experiment and iterate towards bringing this technology to customers.
This position requires experience in two or more of the following:
- Experience with Android Java/Kotlin or ObjC / Swift
- Client-server protocols (gRPC, Protobuf, etc...)
- Bluetooth and Bluetooth LE
- Focus on pixel-perfect UI, and strong collaboration with UX designers
- Strong communication skills, being able to collaborate with the wider Waymo team (product managers, designers, vehicle and robotics engineers)
- Test driven development
- B.S, or M.S. in Computer Science or a similar technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- 4+ years of experience building and shipping mobile apps from scratch using best practices
- Passion and experience building user-facing products
It’s nice-to-have, if you have experience in:
- App store and launch experience
- Java, Kotlin or Swift
- User obsession/understanding
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.