Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
At Waymo, we are building the brains of Waymo’s self driving vehicles. Our software allows our vehicles to perceive the world around them, predict how it is likely to evolve and make the right decision for every situation. We conduct novel research to address real-world behavior prediction, imitation learning, planning and control problems and collaborate with research teams at Alphabet. Here at Waymo, we have access to millions of miles of real driving data from a diverse set of sensors, enabling researchers like you to develop complex models and techniques at scale. Improvements deployed to our system can immediately impact our large fleet of autonomous vehicles.
We are looking for a Tech Lead Manager who is curious and passionate about Level 4 autonomous driving.
In this leadership role, you'll:
- Lead a team of software engineers that build motion planning and decision-making systems for the self-driving vehicles, ensuring that the behavior of our vehicles is safe, smooth, and predictable to other road users
- Design and lead efforts to improve how our vehicles act and react in complex and nuanced situations
- Attract, grow, and retain a diversity of talent, providing technical direction and career growth opportunities
- Inspire and motivate the team to work together as a cohesive and productive unit
- Guide all technical aspects of development, including technical requirements definition, design, implementation, unit testing, and integration
- Work closely with engineering partners and stakeholders to drive organizational alignment
At a minimum we would like you to have:
- Must have a BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Robotics or similar technical field of study
- Managed a team and set technical direction in the past
- Experience managing projects spanning across multiple teams
- Experience in Python and/or C++
- Strong written and verbal communications
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience in the Self Driving Car industry
- 2+ years of experience as an engineering manager
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.