Systems Engineer, Motion Control (Trucking)
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you'll:
- Define and manage steering, braking and electric/hybrid/conventional powertrain (motion control actuators) requirements subject to vehicle-truck dynamics, control and sensing constraints (dynamic response, capabilities) for the self driving system
- Drive architecture discussions focusing on motion control performance, fault tolerance and reliability
- Evaluate electrical, mechanical and software architecture of the motion control system and contribute to hardware or software design reviews
- Coordinate motion control actuators integration to the self-driving system from prototype development to fleet deployment
- Establish validation and verification methods for the motion control requirements and plan, execute, analyse and document results to verify and validate performance
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- 3 or more years of experience designing or testing electromechanical systems, particularly automotive, aerospace or other safety critical systems
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant Engineering or a related field (including ME, EE, CS, Robotics, Controls, Aerospace, etc.) or equivalent practical experience
- SW development experience (including C/C++, Python, or MATLAB)
- Strong foundation in system engineering principles such as requirements definition, formal verification and validation methods, and simulation
- 5 or more years engineering of experience
- Experience with commercial vehicles including familiarity with vehicle-truck dynamics and steering, braking and propulsion systems of Class-8 vehicles
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.