Mapping Operations - Mapping Maintenance Specialist
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo, formerly known as Google self-driving car project, is working to improve people's lives by transforming mobility. The team's goal is to, one day, make it easier and safer for everyone to get around. We are a highly motivated team that works in a fast paced environment. We create a self-driving prototype vehicle that is designed to take you where you want to go at the push of a button - no driving required.
Our Mapping Operations team plays a key role in the development of Waymo self-driving technology and is responsible for assuring the high definition maps the cars rely on to drive are accurate and up-to-date. After the maps are built, the maintenance team plays the critical role of ensuring that we respond to real-world changes (such as construction) by editing the map to reflect these changes. As the Mapping Maintenance Specialist, you will be a core member of the team working closely with product, engineering, and operations to identify and implement tool and process improvements to increase the quality and reduce turn-around-time of our maintenance projects. You will also serve as a subject matter expert and help to resolve issues escalated by other members of the team in MTV and HYD.
In this Mapping Operations role, you'll:
- Lead key map maintenance efforts (Map Patch projects, RAD) to ensure Waymo maps are accurate and up-to-date.
- Drive down the time taken to fix, replace, and open blocked sections of the map
- Continuously improve and simplify processes in close coordination with other teams (Product, Eng, Ops).
- Provide input for training of maintenance and RAD specialists in both HYD and MTV
- Help resolve highest-priority time-sensitive issues
- Work with the other Mapping Operations teams (New Build, Quality, Productivity) to align on processes, metrics, and resource utilization across Mapping Operations as a whole
At minimum we'd like you to have:
- BS/BA degree or 2 years of relevant work experience. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals in a diverse and dynamic work environment
- Ability to quickly learn and implement new concepts and utilize proprietary tools
- Self-motivated and demonstrated ability to maintain good judgment in fast-paced, high-stress environments
- Basic skills in task planning and time management
- At least 1 year previous experience in Waymo Mapping Operations is preferred
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.