Systems Test Engineer, Motion Control, Trucking
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you'll:
- Model vehicle-truck platforms and actuator (brakes, steering, powertrain) dynamics
- Develop models and perform rigorous verification
- Deploy models, and enable virtual development and testing
- Enable infrastructure for optimal motion control architecture subject to environmental, sensing and actuation constraints
- Cascade optimal motion control architecture to vehicle and actuator requirements
- Drive architecture discussions about motion control and actuator performance, and contribute to motion control software design reviews
- Define and manage motion control requirements for a self-driving vehicle
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Strong knowledge on modeling systems related to vehicle-truck dynamics and control
- Knowledge of commercial modelling (Simscape, CarMaker or Carsim, Adams etc.) and optimization tools (Forces Pro, Julia etc.)
- Software development experience (including C/C++, Python, Matlab/Simulink)
- Experience designing and/or testing electromechanical automotive systems
It's preferred if you have:
- Master’s degree in a relevant engineering or a related field (including ME, EE, CS, Robotics, Controls, Aerospace, etc.) or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with system engineering principles such as defining requirements, and formal verification and validation methods
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.