System Test Engineer, Onboard Software
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you'll:
- Develop test programs to ensure functional, performance, and safety requirements of our self-driving system are met
- Work closely with our scenario and simulation teams to design and implement robust, high-precision, repeatable tests in simulation.
- Systematically create scenario-based test plans that capture the range of situations and salient variables influencing the car’s behavior
- Support Waymo’s ongoing software development and release process by analyzing, interpreting and reporting on test results and field data.
- Create and maintain dashboards that allow others to understand test performance. Prepare well-written and informative test reports to drive software prioritization and highlight areas of strength and weakness
- Support the issue triage process by spotting trends and patterns and developing insights into how the car drives, and how different subsystems are performing.
- Help develop new testing methodologies that improve Waymo’s ability to derive more signal from fewer driven miles. Maintain focus on automation and scalability.
- Help Waymo’s software program test more rigorously through leading by example, and communicating where better testing can help the team move faster and more confidently.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Strong demonstrated experience defining verification and validation test programs, including hands-on experience and understanding the nuances of self-driving requirements, algorithms and operating environments
- Solid physics and software engineering fundamentals
- BS degree in a technical field, such as Mechanical/Electrical/Aerospace/Computer Engineering, Computer/Data Science, Robotics, Math, Physics, or similar related field
- Strong organization, communication, and documentation skills
It’s preferred if you have:
- Data analysis skills (e.g. using Python or MATLAB) including using large datasets. Ability to write C++ code when needed.
- Prior experience as a Test/Validation/Application Engineer or System Engineer for ADAS or Autonomous Driving technology
- Formal systems engineering experience. Have a deep understanding of the benefits of systems engineering principles with the rigor appropriate for safety-critical systems, without the overhead present in some organizations.
- Experience developing and executing test plans for non-deterministic systems
- Expertise in one or more areas of the Autonomous Driving software stack such as Perception, Behavior Prediction, Planning, Motion Control or similar
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.