Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first self-driving car, with researchers, designers, engineers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From self driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
In this Design Studio role, you'll:
- Work closely with design and engineering departments within Waymo, to develop innovative products, vehicles, and hardware, which integrate engineering excellence into creative designs. Identify and propose solutions to technically challenging areas on new product development by bringing Design and Engineering together
- Interface between design and engineering teams to help manage and resolve conflicts between design requirements and technical feasibility, ensure the design themes are updated with the latest technical input from engineering and manufacturing. Represent design plural and interests when communicating with engineering teams and suppliers.
- Lead theme packaging development and theme feasibility from design concepts to final class-A surfaces; guide design and CAD team to provide the best solution possible for Waymo’s products.
- Manage information in the Enovia PLM, Catia V6 environment. Responsible for data management including: design concepts, simulation analysis, prototyping builds and production. Support the development and construction of 3D models with respect to dimensional and technical constraints and model build
- Support design activities and ensure correct technical and geometrical status to physical models, mock-ups and ergonomic bucks. Actively participate in all studio activities related to the project
- Stay up to date on the latest engineering trends, system, tools and tooling development processes; Introduce new technical solutions, provide technical specifications for designers
We'd like you to have:
- Degree in Engineering, minimum 10 years of experience of product, transportation design or similar field
- Strong technical background and understanding of the design and engineering process; proven history of successful design and product development from concept to production
- Extensive industry experience and knowledge through all phases of product development cycle; manufacturing processes, engineering and developing complex Class A parts and assemblies, material science and structure, deep understanding of different tooling methods
- Have a good balance of design and engineering; creative thinking, problem solving skills, eyes for strong aesthetics and perceived quality, craftsmanship sensibilities, and understand the technical solutions and limitations.
- A wide knowledge and high level of comfort in CAD and PLM packages. Proficient in Catia, Excellent 2D drawing and 3D CAD skills.
- Excellent team working capabilities and communication/ presentation skills
It's preferred if you have:
- Fluent in more than one CAD package such as Catia, Solidworks, Pro-e, and NX.
- Previous design engineer/ studio engineering experience in OEM design studio or complete vehicle packaging experience
- Additional industry activities such as consumer products, or architecture
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.