Design Producer/Program Manager
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first self-driving car, with researchers, designers, engineers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From self driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
In this Design Studio role, you'll:
- Work closely with industrial design, CAD, CMF, product graphics design, and project management in all stages of the design process. Manage interaction between designers and other functions such as product management, engineering, supplier development
- Manage design workflow and be the point person for all ongoing projects while managing new project intake for the team. Establish new workflows and implement them in ways that remove friction and allow scalability, efficiency and creativity across the product development lifecycle. Improve and maintain processes that can ensure team members have what they need to understand and execute on all objectives
- Responsible for building and managing project schedules based on the known dates of the program and risk factors, obtaining necessary approval and meeting syncs with teams. Identify potential obstacles and risks that stand in the way of success. Maintain all project schedules while sending out regular communications regarding project status
- Coordinate and lead weekly design meetings to align teams on status of ongoing programs and next steps. Take clear notes and distribute to attendees highlighting key decisions and action items
- Collaborate closely with project leads on project strategy and roadmaps, make sure that the processes related to design activities run smoothly. Prepare for design reviews with design leads and partners by driving agendas, goals, FAQs and presentation strategy
- Manage and organize design assets: both physical and digital
We'd like you to have:
- BS/BA or equivalent, and a MINIMUM of 5+ years in a Project Management or Design Producer role.
- Proven track record of setting up and driving engineering and/or design projects within an design or other organization
- Strong communication, collaboration, planning, prioritization, time management and organizational skills.
- Passion for improving processes, plans, and all things that are simply broken or don't exist
- Innate ability to get things done, figuring things out and driving several tasks to closure.
- Proven ability to collaborate with design, engineering, product, marketing, regulatory compliance teams and suppliers to develop new solutions. Have a positive, collaborative attitude amid ambiguous situations.
It's preferred if you have:
- Formal project management training (PMP or other) and experience working with project management tools is a plus
- Experience working in product design and/ or vehicle design OEMs
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.