Public Affairs Manager, Arizona
Chandler, Arizona, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and hardware technology first developed at Google, Waymo is the only autonomous vehicle company to have launched the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that takes members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
As a member of the Public Affairs team, you will be at the forefront of bringing self-driving cars to the public. Our focus is implementing advocacy, grassroots, and grasstops campaigns to drive acceptance and adoption of our life-saving technology. We work directly with key third party groups and influencers to educate the public on the safety benefits of Waymo’s self-driving car technology. Internally, our efforts support the innovative work of engineering, product, safety, and external engagement teams.
In this role, you’ll:
- Manage relationships with Waymo’s Arizona-based Let’s Talk Self Driving partners, and identify new ways to partner that strategically enhance Let’s Talk Self Driving presence and awareness in Arizona
- Support and oversee execution of Let’s Talk Self Driving campaign activities and activations
- Cultivate new organizations to join the Let’s Talk Self Driving campaign
- Serve as spokesperson for the Let’s Talk Self Driving campaign, including at partner and Waymo-hosted events
- Third party grasstops and grassroots management, including identifying and mapping key stakeholders in-market, and serving as primary POC for local influencers
- Coordinate closely with Waymo’s public policy team around local incident prevention and response
- Bachelor’s degree; 5+years of relevant experience, including in public affairs, public policy, marketing, and/or communications within government, or relevant nonprofit, public interest groups, companies, or industry associations; ideally at least 2+ years working specifically on technology or transportation policy issues
- Passionate and knowledgeable about emerging technologies and public affairs engagement
- Skilled at advocating for complex technologies/positions before a wide variety of audiences; Strong public speaking skills
- Deep knowledge of Metro Phoenix and Arizona state dynamics and decision makers. An established political network and community ties in Metro Phoenix
- Ability to work remotely with a high degree of autonomy and communication
- Collaborative and flexible team player with the ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing and uncertain environment
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.