Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you'll:
- Lead the sign-off of self-driving car sensors and the perception algorithms that use them
- Research and understand the physics of self-driving car sensing technology (e.g. lidar, cameras, or radar)
- Research and understand the software used to interpret sensor data into classified objects
- Write reusable data analysis software and physics simulations
- Perform system-level trade studies
- Propose requirements and drive consensus on those requirements inside the hardware and software teams
- Design, debug, and execute tests
- Project manage a team of talented engineers around new feature releases
- Analyze test data to ensure the system meets its requirements
- Find creative ways to automate the sign-off process
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- A bachelor’s degree in physics, engineering, or another technical field
- An advanced degree OR 5 years of experience as a software, controls, sensors, or systems engineer
- Experience writing analyses in a high level language Python (numpy, matplotlib), or Matlab
- Experience writing database queries (SQL)
- Experience in machine learning and C++.
- Experience writing scientific or technical reports. A thesis for an advanced degree is a plus.
- Experience writing requirements or running tests.
- Experience organizing a team of people. Management experience is a plus.
- Technical expertise in sensing technology. (e.g. lidar, cameras, or radar)
It’s preferred if you have:
- Strong test planning, execution, troubleshooting and data analysis skills at the sub-system and full-system level
- Proven ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams and lead others to solve technical problems even when you don’t manage them directly
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.