DRE Hardware Product Development Engineer - Cleaning System Integration Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Novi, Michigan, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this Hardware Engineering role, you'll:
- Take responsibility for the design, release, and delivery, from concept to production, of components and subsystems required for the integration of a sensor cleaning system into a vehicle. This includes hose/line routings and attachments; specification of off-the-shelf components like pumps and valves; working with suppliers to modify OTS components where they don’t meet our needs; design of custom components for the integration of these parts into the vehicle (structural mounting, hose guides, etc.) Manufacturing technologies might include die casting, extrusions, injection molding, compression molding, vacuum forming, etc.
- Ensure on-time delivery of these systems and components against program targets for cost, weight, structural performance, craftsmanship, NVH, squeak and rattle, fit/finish, etc.
- Execute quality and robustness activities such as DFMEA and DVP&R
- Collaborate with multiple departments including attribute leads, cross functional engineering teams, test engineers, manufacturing and assembly teams as well as other stakeholders including our OEM partners
- Work with the Global Supply Chain Team to support source selection activities including writing RFP’s and evaluating suppliers and quotes r to ensure timely delivery of hardware for vehicle build activities
- Utilize CAD tools (CATIA V6 / ENOVIA) and perform or direct CAD design personnel on packaging, integrating, and detailing components
- Support vehicle prototype and production build activities, ensuring proper fit and function of components, and resolving issues
At the minimum, we'd like you to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years automotive or large commercial vehicle engineering experience
- Basic proficiency with CAD design tools and process, and experience overseeing production drawing releases, including material selection, coating specifications, and GD&T
- Experience with hose/line routings and attachment concepts as well as the design of structural brackets (Injection molded; press-break; etc.)
- Experience with high volume automotive production
- Ability to thrive when managing rapid development cycles involving experimental hardware
It's preferred if you:
- Do not require a “recipe book” to be successful
- Have Catia V5/V6 experience
- Are flexible and able to manage ambiguity
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.