System Architecture Engineer - Modeling / Simulation
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this role, you'll:
- Design and create representations and models for the system and hardware architecture of the Waymo Driver’s self-driving system (SDS) and it’s integration into a variety of vehicle platforms (including passenger car vehicles, commercial vehicles, etc.)
- Deeply understand the underlying technology solutions and challenges in the autonomous vehicle space to properly model and/or simulate them and make decisions based on said models/simulations
- Develop tooling, automation, models, and/or simulations to explore and characterize system architecture behavior, and in turn optimize for things like system level data flow, power flow, attributes or allocations, etc.
- Read and write code to enhance the rigor, confidence, quality, and/or efficiency of architecture designs
- Lead and communicate effectively to make recommendations, and drive alignment and execution amongst all stakeholders, especially as it pertains to, but not limited to, system architectural models
At a minimum, we'd like you to have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Software Engineering, or equivalent practical experience; Master’s Degree preferred
- 6+years of engineering experience architecting complex systems in industry and/or developing models for complex systems; some experience in automotive, automation, autonomous vehicles, or robotics industry preferred
- Deep knowledge of software engineering fundamentals, including ability to read, comprehend, and write code (C++, Python, Matlab, etc) desired
It's preferred if you have:
- High-level understanding of various systems needed to make a self-driving vehicle (sensors, compute, wiring, chassis communication, controls, etc.)
- Proven systems-thinking mindset, and skills and system engineering practice -- ability to translate between big picture and details, adapt models accordingly, etc.
- Familiarity with model-based methods and tools (such as SysML)
- Strong communication skills and leadership abilities to work with both internal team and cross-functional engineering teams to align and drive towards decisions
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.