System Architecture Engineer - Design
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this Hardware Engineering role, you'll:
- Design and create representations for the system and hardware architecture of the Waymo Driver’s self-driving system (SDS) and it’s integration into a variety of vehicle platforms (including passenger car vehicles, commercial vehicles, etc)
- Deeply understand the underlying technology solutions and challenges in the autonomous vehicle space in order to inform the architectural directions you recommend
- Formulate and drive complex tradeoffs across system attributes, including performance, power, mass, cost, schedule, reliability, etc.
- Reconcile and balance product and system -level requirements pulls against core technology pushes to distill an optimal architecture, defining and managing key interfaces among system components and the teams delivering them
- Collaborate broadly and cross-functionally with the wider engineering, product, and operations teams to deliver end-to-end system level solutions based on the architectures you define
- Lead and communicate effectively to make recommendations and drive alignment and execution amongst all stakeholders
At the minimum, we'd like you to have:
- Bachelor's Degree in relevant Engineering or related field (including ME, EE, CS, Robotics, Controls, Aerospace, etc.) or equivalent practical experience; Master’s Degree preferred
- 10 or more years of engineering experience architecting complex systems in industry; 5+ years in the automotive, automation, autonomous vehicles, or robotics industry preferred
It's preferred if you have:
- Proven systems thinking mindset and skills and system / safety engineering practice; understanding of ISO26262, IEC 61508, and/or other related standards and their applicability to autonomous vehicles preferred
- Broad knowledge of engineering fundamentals ranging from atoms to bits, including ability to read and comprehend code (C++, Python, Matlab, etc) desired; Familiarity with model-based methods and tools (such as SysML) preferred
- Demonstrated technical leadership and track record of taking concepts of complex systems from research stage through full product development life cycle to launch and deployment
- Strong communication skills and leadership abilities to work with both internal team and cross-functional engineering teams to align and drive towards decisions; Prior people management experienced preferred
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.