Sr. Design Engineer - Vehicle Interior
Novi, Michigan, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
The Vehicle Engineering team integrates the self-driving system into vehicle platforms by modifying or creating new hardware including structures, trim panels, wiring and cooling systems. Working cross-functionally with many groups including attribute leads, industrial design, manufacturing, supply chain and OEM's, the team defines and engineers the best package to meet the vehicle specifications.
In this role, you'll:
- Be responsible for designing, releasing and delivering, from concept to production, systems required for the integration of self-driving systems, including but not limited to:
- Custom interior (console assemblies, headliners, interior hard and soft trim)
- Structural supports (moldings, casting, extrusion, stamping)
- Support source selection activities, working with the Global Supply Chain team and suppliers to specify components, and ensure timely delivery for vehicle build activities
- Utilize CAD tools (CATIA V6 / ENOVIA) and perform or direct CAD design personnel on packaging, integrating, and detailing components
- You will ensure on time delivery against program targets for cost, weight, structural performance, NVH, squeak and rattle, craftsmanship, etc. Execute quality and robustness activities such as DFMEA and DVP&R
- Support vehicle prototype and production build activities, ensuring proper fit and function of components, and resolving issues
- Build your own BOM from concept development into production
At the minimum, we'd like you to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 7+ years automotive engineering experience
- Proficiency with CAD design tools and process, and experience overseeing production drawing releases, including material selection, grain definition, and GD&T
- Experience with the design and release of automotive components. Expertise with part approval processes
It's preferred if you have:
- Ability to thrive when managing rapid development cycles involving experimental hardware
- Catia experience
- Experience managing projects with vehicle OEMs or Tier 1 suppliers
- Adaptability to work on a range of vehicle platforms from passenger cars to semi trucks
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.