Supply Base Engineer, Vehicle Components
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's supply chain and manufacturing teams are making the cars of the future a reality. We handle all production processes and supplier development strategies: from contracts and purchasing, to designs for improved manufacturing, through quality control and delivery. We collaborate actively with Waymo engineering teams as well as external suppliers and partners to make sure everything is built to spec and delivered on time to meet the rising demands of our business.
In this Supply Base Engineer role, you'll:
- Evaluate potential suppliers for their manufacturing and quality capabilities based on project needs. Conduct 3D model and 2D drawing reviews with suppliers to assess Design for Manufacturability, and collaborate with Design Engineering to release feasible component designs
- Act as Lead Engineer to drive development of fabrication processes and capability assessment activities. Plan and lead DOE’s to drive timely and accurate design, development, and supply chain decisions
- Identify supplier equipment, fixture and tooling needs; drive implementation schedules and efforts to qualify and optimize the manufacturing equipment and process
- Review supplier fixture designs, process flows, equipment selection, DFM and DOE proposals. Identify shortfalls and corrective actions to ensure design compliance
- Review progress of development activities at supplier locations and serve as point of escalation for manufacturing processes that are not capable of meeting design intent
- Drive OK2X (OK2Tool, OK2Build, OK2Ship) deliverables in new product introduction phases to ensure readiness of the supplier’s manufacturing process and quality controls before each build
- Work with Global Supply Managers to assess supplier readiness to support build events and production ramp. Identify potential execution issues and provide recommendations to mitigate risk
At a minimum, we'd like you to have:
- 5+ years experience supporting new product launches from a manufacturing, tooling, or product development perspective
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical / Industrial / Electrical Engineering or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with a variety of component manufacturing processes such as plastic injection molding, metal casting, metal stamping, CNC machining, and light manual assembly
- Experience working with contract manufacturers and mechanical suppliers in Asia
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally 20% of the time
It's preferred if you have:
- Experience with interpretation of design drawings/GD&T, schematics, and cosmetic standards for creation and execution of manufacturing equipment, process, and inspection criteria
- Demonstrates excellent problem solving & communication skills while working alone and in large teams; interfacing with assembly operators, inspectors, production supervisors, engineers, and technical managers
- Experience working with component manufacturers and suppliers on multiple continents
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 50% of the time
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.