Systems Engineer, End-to-End Transportation Service
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you'll:
- Develop detailed and verifiable requirements and documentation for the trip ecosystem, including but not limited to the rider app, fleet management software infrastructure, and the software on the self-driving car
- Define and document software interfaces to minimize unintentional dependencies and allow for asynchronous software deployment to various systems
- Collaborate with Site Reliability Engineers, Software Engineers, Operations and Product Managers to develop robust solutions that meet product and safety goals
- Partner with test engineers to develop and execute verification and validation plans at multiple levels of integration, so software upgrades can be deployed in a way that supports multiple combinations of configurations
- Develop release qualification criteria and analyze logs from real-world situations to continually identify and close gaps in the qualification process
- Develop tools for data analysis to aid system development and evaluate system capabilities against deployment criteria
- Balance competing requirements across the system, which involves multidisciplinary problem solving, detailed analysis and testing, and driving consensus among domain experts and other stakeholders
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or other relevant technical area
- 5+ years of experience, including a background working with a live, cloud service that interfaces with a real-world physical system (vehicle, robot or other mobile devices)
- Strong systems engineering fundamentals across the full product lifecycle, from system architecture through transition into operations, especially for complex systems with production hardware, embedded software, and backend software components
- Strong test planning, execution, troubleshooting and data analysis skills at the sub-system and full-system level
- Proven ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams and lead others to solve technical problems even when you don’t manage them directly
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.