Vehicle Package Architect
Novi, Michigan, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
As a Vehicle Package Architect within the Vehicle Integration team, you will lead the creation of concept package architecture solutions for integrating new self-driving systems technology with existing and new vehicle platforms. Your primary focus will be to manage the complete vehicle package integration and studio/technical convergence by vetting package concepts through virtual and physical prototyping and assessment.
In this role, you'll:
- Maintain digital vehicle layout and design integration, ensuring geometric compatibility and proper function/performance of all components and systems
- Lead and manage Digital Mock-Up (DMU) and clearance / clash detection processes - documenting and communicating issues, then driving them to closure through collaboration with Design, System, Product, Studio, Manufacturing and Leadership stakeholders
- Ensure the applicable technical specifications and product definition targets are balanced and executed through all phases of the product development process
- Evaluate architecture and package solutions in context with Vehicle Assembly and Service/Operations Leads to confirm that accessibility, tool clearance, takt time and service process targets can be met
- Participate in all phases of vehicle build both virtual and physical - bucks, mules, pre-production, production - to ensure that architecture / package assumptions are translated successfully from 3D CAD to physical environment
- Lead with CAD - be immersed in the CAD environment daily and understand the progression of various vehicle systems in the 3D digital environment
At a minimum, we'd like you to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- 4+ years automotive engineering experience with emphasis in Vehicle Packaging, Architecture and/or Studio Engineering
- High level of proficiency (5,000 hours minimum) with CAD design tools and process, preferably with CATIA V5/V6 and Vis-Mockup or other lightweight geometry evaluation tools
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience using ENOVIA PLM system
- 7+ years automotive engineering experience with emphasis in Vehicle Packaging, Architecture and/or Studio Engineering
- Self-starter with creative and critical thinking capabilities and the ability to work autonomously in a highly dynamic and collaborative environment
- Ability to develop requirements where systems/specifications may be loosely defined - identifying gaps in knowledge and process with the ability to bridge those gaps
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.