Waymo is a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. We’re determined to improve transportation for people around the world, building on software and sensor technology developed in Google’s labs since 2009.
As Waymo becomes a multi-product company, Trucking will be our second largest opportunity and will see massive growth in 2020 as we tackle the unique challenges that it presents. We believe that commercial trucking, the backbone of our economy, stands to reap untold benefits by deploying autonomous trucks, particularly during long-haul stretches. Roads will be safer. Goods will be cheaper. Truckers will be called upon to use their skills in new ways while the truck itself becomes a trusted navigation partner.
In this role, you'll be working with a small but rapidly growing team, benefitting from shared technology and expertise of the greater Waymo and Alphabet organizations. We are looking for software engineers and roboticists who are passionate about evolving the safety-critical perception system for self-driving trucks beyond the state of the art.
- Adapt and extend existing perception systems for deployment on a fleet of Waymo trucks, while creating all-new approaches where needed
- Evaluate and understand the cross-functional, trucking-specific challenges that need to be tackled to operate a large fleet of autonomous trucks safely and efficiently
- Prototype and deploy robust and reliable solutions to cutting-edge driving problems
- Improve how our vehicles act and react in complex, nuanced, and rare situations
- BS in Robotics, Computer Vision, Machine Learning, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience in programming in C++ and with robust, safety-critical, efficient code
- Experience in at least one of: robotics, machine learning for perception, computer vision, LIDAR, autonomous systems, sensor fusion, pattern recognition, localization and mapping
- Experience in data structures and advanced algorithms
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in robotics, computer vision, autonomous systems or a related field
- Extensive experience in robotics/autonomous systems
- Experience with radar
- Industry research or production experience
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.