Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
At Waymo Legal, you will work on the exciting legal issues surrounding our transformational autonomous vehicle technology and help drive our business lines forward from technology ideation through scaled commercial deployment. We partner with our public policy, safety, security and privacy experts to define transportation policy for the self-driving world to come, advising on regulatory changes that support and protect our users around the world. We collaborate with our engineering, product, strategy and operations teams to develop and protect our intellectual property portfolio and drive our corporate and commercial transactions. We ensure compliance with an increasingly complex and dynamic range of global regulations. And we anticipate, mitigate, and litigate high-profile and precedent-setting legal matters.
In this Employment Counsel role, you’ll:
- Serve as dedicated employment counsel, responsible for a variety of employment matters for the company
- Provide advice on a broad range of employment issues, including HR policies and practices; performance management; personnel actions; internal investigations; workplace safety; employment law disputes; labor matters; equity, inclusion and diversity efforts; wage and hour; labor relations; and Waymo’s contingent workforce.
- Respond to state and local agency inquiries and charges.
- Draft training and materials related to diversity and inclusion and advise on internal creation and dissemination of statistics and data related to diversity.
- Provide legal advice for internal investigations concerning potential code of conduct, conflicts of interest, financial misconduct, or other violations of internal Waymo policies.
At a minimum, we’d like you to have:
- Juris Doctor or equivalent degree
- 4+ years of experience in a law firm working in broad-based employment law or similar in-house experience
- Experience providing advice on a broad range of employment issues, including HR practices, investigations, performance management, terminations, recruiting, hiring, compensation and benefits, wage and hour and labor relations
- Experience interacting with federal and state agencies on complex employment matters
- Admitted to the bar and in good standing or otherwise authorized to practice law in California
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to travel when needed
It’s preferred if you have:
- Direct or indirect (e.g. via a secondment) in-house experience
- Ability to prioritize and manage numerous simultaneous projects under deadline pressure
- Flexibility and willingness to work on a broad range of legal matters
- Ability to establish and maintain strong relationships within the organization's legal department and across all businesses
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.