Technical Lead Manager, Onboard Software (Adverse Conditions)
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo’s onboard autonomous driving SW is already at the forefront of the industry, and we are pushing hard to expand this to handle additional challenging conditions, such as various weather conditions and unanticipated situations, such as faults. The weather team is responsible for cross-functional development of the core technologies necessary to allow driving in increasingly challenging weather conditions. The fallbacks team is responsible for cross-functional development of onboard software capabilities for driving in faulted conditions.
Weather conditions challenge many components in the autonomous driving stack, and solutions to these require broad technical understanding of the system, including hardware, software, and development process. Most technical development for his role is in software, but significant interaction with hardware teams will be required. Given the unique nature of these weather challenges to autonomous driving, this role requires the ability to design insightful tests, analyze complex results, identify core technical challenges, and devise novel approaches to solve them.
Safety is the primary concern when driving in a faulted condition, and the development of these systems require significant attention to detail, deep understanding of the system and capabilities, and working across multiple teams. Most technical development for his role is in software, but significant interaction with multiple other teams will be required.
We are currently looking for managers to help accelerate the efforts in extending our system to develop capabilities in weather and faulted conditions.
- Plan and own your team’s roadmap, and help set strategic vision
- Guide all technical aspects of development, including technical requirements definition, design, implementation, unit testing, and integration
- Develop deep understanding of existing HW and SW components, and potential for extending them to support weather capabilities and faulted conditions
- Develop strong collaborative relationships with strategic partners within Waymo like Perception, Behavior, Research, System Engineering, Safety, and Onboard software teams, etc.
- As a Technical Lead and Manager (TLM) you will directly manage a team of software engineers
- You will contribute to the team's growth by recruiting and retaining strong engineers and grow leaders into Technical Leads (TLs)
- Strong track record as a software engineer in algorithms and C++
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills for solving complex, ambiguous problems
- Ability to design and communicate the design of new HW / SW systems
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in autonomous driving, robotics or aerospace fields; including perception, planning, motion control
- B.S. plus 10-15 years experience in Engineering, Computer Science or related fields
- Experience in sensors and/or sensor processing a plus
- Strong technical leadership, including experience leading complex software experience
- Ability to work across multiple groups / locations
- Past people management experience
- M.S. or Ph.D. plus 7-10 years experience in Engineering, Computer Science or related fields
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.