Manufacturing Development Engineer, Mechanical / Assembly / Optical
Taipei City, Taipei City, Taiwan
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's supply chain and manufacturing teams are making the cars of the future a reality. We handle all production processes and supplier development strategies: from contracts and purchasing, to designs for improved manufacturing, through quality control and delivery. We collaborate actively with Waymo engineering teams as well as external suppliers and partners to make sure everything is built to spec and delivered on time to meet the rising demands of our business.
In this Manufacturing Development Engineer Role, you'll:
- Evaluate potential suppliers for their manufacturing capabilities based on project needs. Conduct 3D model and 2D drawing reviews with suppliers to assess Design for Manufacturability, and collaborate with Design Engineering to release feasible component designs
- Identify supplier equipment, fixture and tooling needs and drive implementation schedules and efforts to qualify and optimize the manufacturing & Assembly processes
- Drive OK2X (OK2Tool, OK2Build, OK2Ship) deliverables in new product introduction phases to ensure the readiness of the supplier’s manufacturing / Assembly processes and quality controls before each build:
- Conduct 3D/2D drawings review and close loop with product design team
- Review and approve DFM (including Assembly) for tooling and fixture kick off
- Work with SQE to Develop/implement/monitor supplier Quality Control Plans for early detection of quality issues to ensure parts meet or exceed quality and reliability requirements
- Analyze data on FAI/CPK reports to assess supplier’s capability to meet design intent and be able to provide technical recommendation on yield improvements.
- Drive FACA analysis for major quality issues at suppliers
- Review progress of development activities at supplier locations and serve as point of escalation for manufacturing processes that are not capable of meeting design intent.
- Work with Global Supply Managers to assess supplier readiness to support build events and production ramp. Identify potential execution issues and provide recommendations to mitigate risk
- Initiate, explore and track ongoing improvement of product quality issues at suppliers and experienced by customers. Work with SQE & Supplier on yield performance and drive improvement actions for top hitters to bridge the gap to meet mass production goals
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- 8+ years’ experience in Mechanical / Manufacturing / Assembly /Optical component in the consumer electronics or automotive/transportation manufacturing arena, supporting new product launches from a manufacturing, tooling, quality, or product development perspective
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical / Industrial / Optical Engineering or equivalent practical experience
- Hands-on Experience with a variety of component manufacturing processes such as plastic injection molding, metal casting, metal stamping, CNC machining, and assembly
- Strong skills leading the 7D problem solving processes: problem definition, containment, occurrence/escape root cause analysis, corrective/preventive action planning and execution
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 50% of the time
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience with interpretation of design drawings/GD&T, schematics, and cosmetic standards for creation
- Ability to use common data analysis tools (JMP, Minitab and etc)
- Strong experience with manufacturing as well as supply chain techniques and processes such as supplier audits, new product introductions, product life cycles, manufacturing engineering, first article inspection, technical documentation, etc.
- Experience working with component manufacturers and suppliers on multiple continents
- PMP certification is a plus
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.