Chief of Staff
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
As the Chief of Staff for the Hardware Engineering team, you will be responsible to support the Hardware Leadership team in managing and driving Hardware’s business and goals, and prioritizing initiatives and timelines. In this role, you will serve as the primary interface with cross-functional stakeholders and communicate strategy and decision making. This position will play an instrumental role in synchronizing all Hardware related projects and initiatives.
In this role, you’ll:
- Be an advisor to the Head of Hardware (HoH), advising HoH and be able to stand-in during meetings and take key decisions and speak on behalf of the HoH
- Facilitate the Hardware Leadership team towards clear and efficient decision-making
- Support the HoH in setting and communicating overall strategy across Waymo’s businesses. Ensure strategy cascades to the broader organization
- Support the Hardware Leadership team with identifying and resolving gaps by providing insightful data-driven recommendations. Create systems and processes to streamline operations and enhance effectiveness and efficiency
- Partner closely with cross-functional teams (such as EMC/EMI, PCB Layout, NPI, Manufacturing Test and Tools) and use cross-functional knowledge and seek to understand issues, trends and perspectives that may influence the businesses. Rally stakeholders to help drive decisions
- Work to solve problems, mediate disputes, and deal with issues before they are escalated. Collect data and analyze feedback to implement immediate action
- Facilitate creation of Hardware Engineering short and long term goals
- Manage headcount and facilitate resources distribution. Responsible for the department budget
At a minimum, we’d like you to have:
- BA/BS degree in Engineering field or equivalent practical experience
- 10+ years of Hardware Engineering experience over a breadth of disciplines, combined with some form of business process engineering
- Experience with headcount and budget management
- Experience in a people management/leadership role in the tech industry
It’s preferred if you have:
- Excellent verbal, presentation, listening and written communication skills
- Exceptional communication skills with a bias to action, and are an agile and creative problem solver with an ability to build relationships, drive alignment, and collaborate across functions
- Exceptional leadership and management skills, with the ability to develop and communicate a vision that inspires and motivates staff and aligns with the business strategy
- Effective influencing and negotiation skills in an environment in which resources may not be under your direct control
- Excellent analytical, strategic conceptual thinking, strategic planning and execution skills
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.