PCB/PCBA Process & Manufacturing Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
As a subject matter expert you will work on (Printed Circuit Board / Printed Circuit Board Assembly) from prototype to new product introduction to commercialization of products. You will be the cornerstone of all printed circuit board assembly activities and will work with technical cross-functional teams developing new products.
The position requires a strong technical aptitude, including an excellent understanding of PCB/ PCBA domain knowledge in process, manufacturing, and supplier capabilities as well as DfM methodologies, high volume electronics manufacturing processes, printed circuit board technology, component selection, test and inspection methodologies, quality assurance, and consumer electronics product development. The role will also require up to 20% international travel.
In this role, you'll:
- Perform Design for Manufacturability (DfM) analysis and deliver scalable manufacturing solutions for PCBAs
- Support new product introduction builds from concept to product launch, including build preparation, build reports, and issue resolution at contract manufacturers
- Support released products until end of life, overseeing process yield control and cost reduction activities
- Identify and drive DfM and process improvements that reduce process cycle times and costs, while maintaining exceptional quality
- Develop new processes to achieve miniaturization
At the minimum, we'd like you to have:
- BS in electrical engineering, industrial engineering, manufacturing engineering or equivalent practical experience
- 10 years of relevant work experience with consumer or communication products with a strong background in PCBA manufacturing and hands-on process experience
- Technologist with an extremely high level of creativity and curiosity about materials science and electronics packaging at all levels
- Expertise in rework processes, especially rework with underfills
- Expertise in component footprint design rules and miniaturization
It's preferred if you have:
- MS in electrical engineering, industrial engineering, manufacturing engineering or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with advanced materials; underfills, thermal interface materials, RF shielding
- Knowledge of typical PCBA and product level failure modes and ability to relate failure modes to process, material and design related stressors
- Hardware reliability testing
- Experience using tools such as Valor & Allegro
- Familiarity with surface mount assembly of flexible circuits including best practices for material
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.