Systems Engineer, Advanced Features Lead, Trucking
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you'll:
- Use your knowledge of complex hardware/software systems, systems engineering best practices, and program management principles to be confident and to increase the speed Waymo develops and deploys new self-driving vehicle features
- Own and lead the discovery, resolution and performance of these advanced features. Develop clear and comprehensive requirements, and decompose them into actionable and testable invariants for engineers.
- Work with technical teams to deeply understand the problem space and help them prioritize the right long-term solutions to be working on. Lead useful trade studies that inform where to allocate risk and complexity across the system
- Develop methods to verify and validate hardware and software features using a mixture of simulation, closed-course testing, and public-roads testing. You will plan, oversee, and drive test executions.
- Make testing fast, repeatable and reliable. You will work with the simulation team to continually expand what can be tested rigorously in simulation.
- Effectively communicate results to stakeholders
- Lead test and design reviews for senior leadership and other stakeholders
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- 5+ years relevant work experience in robotics, aerospace or automotive systems engineering, product management or equivalent project management experience in a technology company
- Demonstrated experience defining verification and validation requirements and procedures for complex systems
- Careful mindset required for safety-critical development and strong understanding of complex robotics perception, scene understanding, prediction and planning algorithms and the real-world issues inherent in these domains
- Strong physics and software engineering fundamentals
- Strong data analysis skills (e.g. using Python or MATLAB) including using large datasets. Ability to write C++ code when needed.
- Enjoy working across teams. Be able to lead others to solve technical problems even when you don’t manage them directly.
- BA/BS degree in a technical, quantitative or finance oriented field or equivalent practical experience
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience developing, testing and driving heavy commercial vehicles
- Formal systems engineering experience. Capture the benefits of systems engineering with the rigor appropriate for safety-critical systems, without the overhead present in some organizations.
- Superior problem-solving, critical thinking, written/verbal communication skills (framing and storytelling), teamwork and interpersonal skills with senior leaders
- Experience executing complex strategic and technical initiatives in a demanding, change-oriented, fast-paced environment requiring a high degree of deadline-driven productivity
- High proficiency with structuring strategic analysis, developing analytical models and telling stories using spreadsheets and presentations
- MS or graduate degree in computer science, mechanical, aerospace, robotics or related fields
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.