Systems Test Engineer, Vehicle System Integration
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you'll:
- Bring-up, debug and test vehicle prototypes across vehicle system hardware and software, and apply learned lessons to future builds
- Work with our vehicle OEM partners to solve vehicle software and hardware issues in support of the overall development and testing schedule
- Take ownership of vehicle shake-down and testing programs to release OEM software and hardware upgrades to the Waymo fleet
- Create in-vehicle and component test analysis and execution scripts to automate verification and validation tests
- Analyze test results against requirements and conduct root cause studies for issues found in developmental testing
- Participate in design reviews and technical discussions, contributing to improved designs through Design Validation Plan & Report (DVP&R) feedback
At a minimum, we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical degree or equivalent practical experience
- At least 2 years experience in an electrical, software or mechatronics design, systems engineering, vehicle integration or evaluation role
- Working knowledge of vehicle communication network systems (CAN, FlexRay, LIN, Ethernet, etc.), including vehicle ECU software flashing/debug methods and tools
- Coding and scripting ability (C++, Python) to scale large data sets and ability to draw conclusions via data analysis methods
- Excellent written, oral communication skills and interpersonal skills involving ability to work effectively across engineering teams
It’s preferred if you have:
- Demonstrated knowledge of vehicle mechanical/body systems with basic mechanical aptitude to root cause issues
- A strong root-cause analysis mindset to problem solving
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.