Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. Our technical program managers create and maintain the plans and timelines that keep projects on schedule. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you'll:
- Own release verification process, including testing vehicles and software against requirements, both in-car and out-of-car. This consists of writing test scripts, supporting test drivers, and analyzing test data
- Organize test campaign logistics (drivers, vehicles, and test sites) to deliver results on time
- Execute in-car tests at both local and offsite locations (<10% travel expected). Ability to debug hardware and software issues with test setup
- Perform objective and subjective vehicle assessment using commercially available and Waymo-developed tools and methods
- Improve processes to enhance Waymo’s ability to accurately assess the performance, reliability, and safety of the Waymo Driver (our self-driving technology)
- Translate motion control architecture and actuator requirements to verification tests
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor and/or Master's degree in a relevant field (ME, EE, CS, Robotics, Controls, Aerospace, etc.), or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with writing and executing scripts, e.g. in Python
- Detail-oriented, with experience in quantitative methods: statistical analysis, large data sets, vehicle physics, etc.
- Experience in the process of engineering in a safety-critical environment
- California driver’s license. Comfortable driving a car regularly
It’s preferred if you have:
- Additional driving and vehicle control certifications and/or commercial vehicle test experience
- Experience of system engineering principles such as requirements definition and decomposition, and formal verification and validation methods
- Proficiency with vehicle test equipment
- GNSS and inertial test equipment (OxTS, Applanix, Racelogic, Kistler etc.)
- Data acquisition (DAQ) test equipment (Vector CANalyzer, CANape, CANoe and ETAS INCA, MDA etc.)
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.