Manufacturing Process Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software, and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
As a Manufacturing Process Engineer in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary group, you will use your creativity and engineering experience to develop and evaluate solutions to complex engineering challenges. You will champion Design for Manufacturing (DFM) and closely collaborate with multidisciplinary teams to maintain strong functional relationships and positively influence product design. The role may require up to 20% international travel.
In this role, you'll:
- Implement world class manufacturing through the development of assembly tooling, automated equipment, and assembly processes both in-house and at our contract manufacturing partners
- Own onsite process development and qualification of camera module manufacturing, communicate effectively and decisively to ensure optimized process capability and successful scale-up of manufacturing processes
- Improve final products via cross-functional collaboration with Hardware Engineering teams by utilizing DFM and PFMEA activities
- Onsite build support during engineering builds, responsible for line technical readiness, SOP’s, qualification and process optimization at our contract manufacturers
- Assess manufacturing processes throProvide engineering solutions to complex problems in both process development and mechanical fixture design, optimize quality and fast track product manufacturing into production
- Provide engineering solutions to complex problems in both process development and mechanical fixture design, optimize quality and fast track product manufacturing into production
At a minimum, we'd like you to have:
- 5+ years of experience in a similar high tech manufacturing/process engineering role
- BS degree in Manufacturing, Process or Mechanical Engineering or related field
- Experience working with CM partners in a manufacturing environment
- Proven record in development and qualification of assembly and test lines for low to medium volume products
- Experience assessing manufacturing processes through the use of PFMEA, process monitors, capability analysis, root cause analysis and design of experimentsAbility to manage and direct CM team during development to ensure delivery and quality requirements are met
- Ability to work independently, strong team player, detail oriented, organized and hands-on
- Self-motivated, with a proven record of successful execution
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Ability to communicate clearly, explain technical issues, influence product and process design change with results and data
It's preferred if you have:
- Previous camera experience
- Knowledge and experience in precision assembly solutions, dispensing systems and adhesives, surface treatments and UV cure technologies
- Experience in camera/laser related manufacturing and high precision alignment processes within a cleanroom environment
- Ability to root cause failures and efficiently drive resolutions to closure using data analysis techniques
- Strong understanding of Process Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (PFMEA), Design for Manufacturing and Assembly, Six Sigma Root Cause Analysis & Process Validation/Capability
- Ability to run simple modifications in 3D modeling software (NX, Catia, SolidWorks, etc.)
- Excellent communicator and team player, demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced development environment, willing to help and ask for help
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.