Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo Safety Team works to promote and ensure the safety of Waymo’s fully self-driving vehicles. Our experts develop safety goals and strategies, and conduct safety engineering analyses to ensure safety is being considered throughout design and is being integrated into our technology. The team develops and promotes safety strategies and policies for autonomous vehicles for its work with regulatory authorities, lawmakers, law enforcement and public and non-profit organizations. Our Safety Team also helps to ensure Waymo is complying with applicable safety regulations.
In this Safety Research Engineer role, you'll:
- Work closely with software, engineering, and data science teams to develop/further metrics for robust severity predictions
- Be a key contributor in statistical analysis and triage of heavy truck naturalistic driving data
- Support the Waymo Safety Team to oversee the program safety readiness process and metrics
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the robustness of Waymo’s safety benefits and readiness programs
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, or a related technical degree, with a strong background in mechanics and dynamics
- 3+ years (for a Junior role) or 10+ years (for a Senior role) of relevant engineering work experience that includes accident reconstruction, naturalistic driving data analysis and collision epidemiology
- Deep theoretical understanding of basis for accident reconstruction methodology
- Demonstrated experience in CAD and collision simulation (e.g. HVE, PC-crash) tools
- Coding experience and/or fluency in quantitative analysis/modeling tools (Matlab, Python)
It is preferred that you have:
- Considerable experience in heavy truck applications
- An advanced degree in engineering or related technical fields
- Experience downloading and processing EDR and ECM data
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.