Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo Safety Team works to promote and ensure the safety of Waymo’s fully self-driving technology. The System Safety Team is part of the larger Safety Team at Waymo. Our experts collaborate closely with Software Engineering, Hardware Engineering, Systems Engineering, Security, Operations, Legal, and Policy to establish and implement the System Safety process in areas where safety-relevant decisions for design, manufacturing, and operations are made. We ensure safety is considered and designed into Waymo’s technology and operations in the first place, before launching into the public space.
In this Lead System Safety Engineer, Trucking role, you'll:
- Provide leadership in defining, implementing, and improving relevant System Safety processes for Waymo’s trucking program
- Lead cross-functional efforts to perform hazard analysis and identify potential hazard causes, assess safety risks, support the definition of safety requirements, inform architecture and design, and develop hazard mitigations and verification strategies
- Provide guidance on the adoption and adaptation of relevant safety standards, and industry best practices, and help ensure Waymo is complying with relevant safety regulations
- Promote safety culture inside Waymo
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- A Master’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical degree
- 10+ years of relevant engineering work experience that includes some System Safety engineering
- Hands-on experience working on an engineering program that delivered a product to market
- Expertise in performing hazard analyses (e.g. Preliminary Hazard Analysis, System-theoretic Process Analysis, Subsystem Hazard Analyses, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis, etc.)
It is preferred that you have experiences in:
- Heavy truck engineering
- Safety analysis for autonomous vehicles, software, automotive, or embedded systems
- Evaluating and ensuring regulatory compliance
- Managing and leading engineering teams
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.