Waymo is a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 15 billion miles of simulation testing.
The Waymo Safety Team works to promote and ensure the safety of Waymo’s fully self-driving technology. The System Safety Team is part of the larger Safety Team at Waymo. Our experts collaborate closely with Software Engineering, Hardware Engineering, Systems Engineering, Security, Operations, Legal, and Policy to establish and implement the System Safety process in areas where safety-relevant decisions for design, manufacturing, and operations are made. We ensure safety is considered and designed into Waymo’s technology and operations in the first place, before launching into the public space.
In this Lead System Safety Engineer, Software role, you'll:
- Provide leadership in defining, implementing, and improving relevant System Safety processes for Waymo’s autonomous driving software
- Lead and manage a team of System Safety engineers
- Lead cross-functional efforts to perform hazard analysis and identify potential hazard causes, assess safety risks, support the definition of safety requirements, inform architecture and design, and develop hazard mitigations and verification strategies
- Provide guidance on the adoption and adaptation of relevant safety standards, and industry best practices, and help ensure Waymo is complying with relevant safety regulations
- Promote safety culture inside Waymo
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- A Master’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical degree
- 10+ years of relevant engineering work experience that includes minimum 3 years of System Safety engineering
- Experience in leading and managing an engineering team
- Hands-on experience working on an engineering program that delivered a product to market
- Expertise in performing hazard analyses (e.g. Preliminary Hazard Analysis, System-theoretic Process Analysis, Subsystem Hazard Analyses, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis, etc.)
- Experience in software development, software safety, and/or software verification and validation
It is preferred that you have:
- Expertise in safety analysis for autonomous vehicles or automotive systems
- Experience in evaluating and ensuring regulatory compliance
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.