Lead Functional Safety Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo Safety Team works to promote and ensure the safety of Waymo’s fully self-driving technology. The System Safety Team is part of the larger Safety Team at Waymo. Our experts collaborate closely with Software Engineering, Hardware Engineering, Systems Engineering, Security, Operations, Legal, and Policy to establish and implement the System Safety process in areas where safety-relevant decisions for design, manufacturing, and operations are made. We ensure safety is considered and designed into Waymo’s technology and operations in the first place, before launching into the public space.
In this Lead Functional Safety Engineer role, you will:
- Provide leadership in defining, implementing, and improving relevant Functional Safety process
- Lead and manage a team of Functional Safety engineers
- Lead cross-functional efforts to perform hazard analysis and identify potential hazard causes, assess safety risks, support the definition of safety requirements, inform architecture and design, and develop hazard mitigations and verification strategies
- Provide guidance on the adoption and adaptation of relevant safety standards, and industry best practices, and help ensure Waymo is complying with relevant safety regulations
- Promote safety culture inside Waymo
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- A Master’s degree in Electrical/Electronics Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related technical fields
- 10+ years of relevant engineering work experience that includes minimum 3 years of Functional Safety engineering or System Safety engineering
- Hands-on experience working on an engineering program that delivered a product to market
- Led and managed an engineering team
- ISO 26262 Functional Safety professional certification
- Expertise in performing hazard analyses (e.g., Hazard Analysis and Risk Assessment, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis, Failure Modes, Effects, and Diagnostic Analysis, System-theoretic Process Analysis, etc.)
- Experience in embedded control system development, embedded software development, and/or verification and validation of such systems
It is preferred that you have experiences in:
- Safety analysis for autonomous vehicles, automotive, or embedded systems
- Automotive electronics / systems / software design and development
- Evaluating and ensuring regulatory compliance
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.