Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo Safety team works to promote and ensure the safety of Waymo’s fully self-driving vehicles. Our experts develop safety goals and strategies, and conduct safety engineering analyses to ensure safety is being considered throughout the design and development of our vehicles. The team develops and promotes safety strategies and policies for autonomous vehicles for its work with regulatory authorities, lawmakers, law enforcement and public and non-profit organizations. Our Safety Team also helps to ensure Waymo is complying with applicable environmental, health and safety regulations.
In this Incident Management role, you will:
- Lead all aspects of Waymo’s safety incident response and investigation program. Take responsibility for administering and ensuring continuous improvement of the program
- Serve as the subject matter expert and represent the company to external stakeholders including regulatory officials in all matters related to Waymo’s safety incident management program. Maintain knowledge of and be the content expert for emerging regulations and industry practices in company and transportation incident management
- Manage, coordinate and conduct incident management and investigation training and ensure compliance with all relevant requirements. Establish working relationships at all levels of the organization providing guidance and support to all divisions/departments on incident management matters
- Act as primary point of contact for incident response and investigations. Conduct incident investigations to determine root cause, corrective and preventative actions. Coordinate operational implementation of incident management practices in the field and coordinate drills to test effectiveness. Facilitate followup reviews of drills and actual situations to determine gaps and areas for improvement
- Proactively monitor and communicate incident management performance. Conduct formal periodic reviews of the program, develop metrics and present data in periodic safety meetings as well as proactively to the organization based on trends
- Oversee the implementation and administration of incident management and investigation tools (software). Manage the system functionality to ensure interfaces are appropriate and maintained and technology is used to facilitate implementation
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- Experience in managing an operational incident management or Emergency Preparedness and Response program company-wide in a transportation sector (aviation, maritime, trucking, etc.)
- Experience in conducting incident, causal evaluations, or other post-event investigation activities
- Experience training personnel in incident management and investigation subjects
- Experience managing safety and/or operational personnel
- Project management experience
It’s preferred if you have:
- Bachelor's degree in safety, emergency preparedness, business continuity, transportation or related fields
- Certified Emergency Manager (CEM) certification, Certified Expert Incident Manager (CEIM) certification, or equivalent
- Transportation accident investigation training
- Experience operating under a Safety Management System (SMS) in the transportation sector
- Experience in Human Factors (HF), Human Systems Integration (HSI), Human Performance tools (HU) Resilience Engineering, or Human and Organizational Performance (HOP)
- Knowledgeable in the compliance requirements of the pertinent transportation-related codes, regulations and standards. Experience with DOT, FMVSS, NHTSA
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.