Waymo is a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. We’re determined to improve transportation for people around the world, building on software and sensor technology developed in Google’s labs since 2009.
The Weather team at Waymo is responsible for connecting the impacts of weather to the autonomous vehicle fleet, operations, and various other teams within Waymo. In this role, you'll be working with a small but rapidly growing team, benefitting from shared technology and expertise of the greater Waymo and Alphabet organizations.
In this capacity, our Weather Data team builds systems and models, based on external weather reports, sensors on the cars, and weather stations. We are looking for software engineers who are passionate about evolving the robust and scalable weather infrastructure for development of the core technologies necessary to allow driving in increasingly challenging weather conditions.
- Work on the weather data pipeline, where you’ll learn the nitty-gritty details of the infrastructure.
- Design and implement systems to provide accurate estimations at Waymo scale to many cities and thousands of cars.
- Build systems that continuously run models to provide accurate weather estimation.
- Directly interact with and enable many teams to know how weather impacts their work.
- Build software to run robustly under tight run-time constraints.
- Leverage a wealth of weather data to measure and improve weather estimations by bringing your expertise in stats, modeling, experiment design, and data analysis.
- Collaborate with engineers interested in weather, product managers, and weather vendors (including meteorologists), to evaluate and improve our data, with a focus on bringing statistical depth, analytical rigor, and an accurate estimation of weather data.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Strong track record as SWE
- Strong algorithm and C++ programming skills
- Data analysis and metric design
- Excitement to dive into complex systems and improve them
- Experience in machine learning
- Experience in deploying a large production system with many ML models
- Experience in optimizing high-performance systems
- Experience in data analysis and optimizing deep net performance
- Experience writing modular testable software and developing evaluation metrics
- Experience in building UI tools or dashboards
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.